Menu Close

House burns down due to scented plug-in!

Fire Prevention Tip

This photo was taken at the scene of a house fire that occurred recently. I am not sure of the source of the original message.

 It seems their house burnt down.. nothing left but ashes. They had good insurance so the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That’s the good news.

However, they were sick to their stomachs when they found out the cause of the fire. The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He traced the cause of the fire to the master bathroom. He asked the owners if they had plugged anything in the bathroom. They listed the normal things… curling iron, blow dryer.

The investigator kept saying, ‘No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures’. Then they remembered they had a Scented Plug-In, in the bathroom.

There have been more house fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. The plastic they are made from is THIN. In most cases there is nothing left to prove that it even existed. In this case, when the investigator looked IN the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there.

The owners of the house mentioned they had one of the plug-ins with a small night light built in it. They had noticed that the light would dim and then go out. They would walk in to the bathroom a few hours later and the light would be back on again.

The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down, it would come back on. That’s a warning sign

, but you know what? I’d just avoid the risk altogether and not use a plug-in air freshener!

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *